Friday, April 20, 2012

Branding a City Through Type



A couple of Sundays ago, I was perusing the newspaper over my breakfast when I stumbled upon an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about two typeface designers, Robbie de Villiers and Jeremy Dooley, who, through funding provided by supporters on Kickstarter, designed a typeface to be used throughout the city on municipal signage and ect. This made me think about who gets to design such things? I have this feeling that normally this is not done by a designer, however, there are some people who are taking this on in beautiful ways.

The Chicago Neighborhoods is a project created by designer Steve Shanabrunch in which he embodied the character of each neighborhood in Chicago using various different type solutions. The result is a simply beautiful example of how powerful a typeface is in expressing mood and character.







No comments:

Post a Comment