Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Brothers Quay

The Brothers Quay Hi all,

For my blog entry I would like to introduce (to those who may not be familiar) the work of Philly natives, Stephen & Timothy Quay, otherwise known as:

The Brothers Quay


Known foremost for their influential stop-motion animation films, these lads (Did I mention they were identical twins? No?) are also well known in avant-garde circles worldwide for their exquisite calligraphy, graphic design and illustration work. In fact, they (yes, both) majored in illustration over at UArts, but I won't go too far into rival matters, naturally.

Personally, I find their use of typography very inspiring in that it invokes a sense of elegance and refinement which I hope to achieve in my own projects. I think it is very easy for our design community to appreciate the hand-drawn lettering and unconventional layout (reminiscent of El Lissitzky and Expressionist cinema titling) that they often utilize. Admittedly, I can't help but also enjoy how eccentric and strange they both are, but that's also another matter.

Onto the work!





I urge you, if interested further, to take a trip to the MoMa to see the Quay's fascinating retrospective currently exhibiting. It's a wonderful exhibit and happens to feature much of their unpublished (and entirely relevant) work to date:

Quay Brothers: On Deciphering the Pharmacist's Prescription for Lip-Reading Puppets. August 12, 2012–January 7, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment