Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dominique Falla

During my search for something to blog about, I stumbled across some work done by Dominique Falla. She is an Australian designer who works with a variety of materials and combines them with a digital aesthetic to make tactile typography pieces. Everything she does is clean and precise, and makes simple typography into works of art.

Here's one example of her work from her "Postcards from Rome" series.
Postcards from Rome: Pasta

Using a variety of pasta of all shapes and sizes, Dominique creates a nice image by using pasta to spell...well... "pasta" obviously. Using this colorful mix of pasta also makes the word much more exciting.


In another addition of her "Postcards from Rome" series comes this
gusto

 For this mark, Dominique created a custom type of the word "gusto" and cut it out of vinyl. All she had left to do was lay it on the table and throw some flour down on top of it. What really amazes me is how clean it is, even after lifting the vinyl up. I don't see any accidental mark made in the flour from picking it up, not a finger mark or small line or anything. I find it very impressive, and it makes me want to try something similar.

Finally, some of my favorite pieces by her are made with pins and yarn. Here are some of my favorites.
The Loom Apartments
 Relax & Unwind

Destiny Protect me from the World
Whether she is using yarn to fill in the type or to fill in the negative space, you have to admit that these are all works of art. Apart from how complex it must be to weave just one word to look like this, take into account the uses of different colors, be it a simple variety of color in the negative space or a subtle gradient in the type itself. I like to think that I'm a patient person, but don't think I'd be able to get very far in a project like this as much as I would like to.

Here's a video of her making one of these woven phrases

http://vimeo.com/63457271

If you like this stuff, check out her other work on her site!
http://www.dominiquefalla.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment