Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cool Type Stuff

So when I was looking for cool type things to share on this blog, I came across this pretty nice website called http://www.visualnews.com, it's a blog that has a few contributors that post things they've found, kind of like this blog.

Some of the stuff was really cool and related to type so here's kind of a mish-mosh of interesting type treatments that I found within the blog and wanted to share.


Here is a type alphabet that Creative designer Lisa Rienermann created with the negative spaces made by corners and edges of buildings with the sky making the letter forms.  This was really interesting to me because it's something we all see, especially living and going to school in the city.  It was kind of like a "duh why haven't I ever thought of that before?" kind of moment because now that I look at her images, I know I've probably seen forms like these as I've walked through the city.

Another interesting type thing I found that I just thought was really pretty was this image by Luca Lonescu.


It's a 3D printed piece of styrofoam that I thought was just beautiful and amazingly detailed (which I mean it can be because of the 3D printing but still).
Okay so what I really wanted to focus on were these typographic posters by Tang Shipeng.









I thought it was really interesting to look at how type in other languages is treated, especially in languages such as this that use characters instead of our type of letter form characters.  It's really cool to see the really different ways these characters are used because they are more like the forms of geometric shapes than english letter forms. They become more like art work because of the shapes than words.  Well to me anyway because I can't read Chinese (even though I should because I took three years of mandarine in high school, but I honestly remember barely any of it).  To us they look like shapes and become more artistic and picturesque rather than informational posters because we can't read them and what the message is.

I think it's also really awesome though that even though these posters are in a completely different language, you can see that the same typographic rules still apply. You can see there's still attention to kerning, fonts, contrast between fonts, stacking correctly, direction changes, and many other typography rules that are being applied to these posters.  It's just really cool to think that no matter what the language is, there will still always be that common typography language.




Oh and one last post that doesn't really relate to typography, I just thought these were really fun and playful. They're by Steve Simpson an illustrator.  And could be something to think about as another detail for restaurant project if it fits.













No comments:

Post a Comment