Thursday, September 26, 2013

Type Expressing Music and Film

When exploring to find something worth posting, I knew I wanted to post some kind of video with type set to music of some kind, because I could probably be entertained for type videos for hours. I found an article of 40 type videos, linked here if anyone's interested, but what mainly caught my eye on the list was 2 music videos by a French electronic duo, Justice.

One of the things I loved about the first video, besides how stunning all the effects are, is that unlike many kinetic type videos each image stands very strongly on its own. Each word or phrase stands out clearly as a strong mark, and yet they are animated to still flow together. It's also pretty brilliant how each word imitates a retro logo. The colors and effects used in the animation also capture the song perfectly.



This next video uses animated type and illustration on t-shirts to illustrate the lyrics. Despite the lyrics saying "do the dance," the artists never dance at all in the video, they only calmly walk forward the whole time. However, I didn't notice this right away because the movement and energy of the song is still conveyed through the type.



One thing I took from this was the realization of how amazing it is that type can be used to express something as intangible as music or sounds. It's definitely something to remember if you ever have trouble getting your type to relate to your project.



I also wanted to share a something completely different I found when looking for videos. It's a video called Title Design History. I really enjoyed seeing the gradual progression from older films to more recent ones.


I wanted to post this because the website it links to, Art of the Title is a treasure trove of great type videos, with tons of title sequences form different movies and tv series posted, and even a section on different designers and animators.

Similarly to conveying the mood of music, this is a great example of typography being used to introduce the mood of a movie. The title sequence is the viewer's first impression, so it's especially important for the type to evoke the right feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment